><(({°>

archives
it happens mostly at night
18 March, 2003
well, due to the nice weather boston experienced yesterday, i was able to drive my crap-ass 95 neon around with the windows open, obnoxiously blasting some tunes, making the 17 mile commute with MA.drivers a little less craptacular. i caught some strange looks from other drivers....or at least i thought i did. i was stopped at a light, and as human league's 'don't you want me baby' segued into 'regret' by new order, this lady in the birdshit green taurus next to me lowers her sun glasses to give me a quick, confusing glance above the gold frames. haven't you ever seen anyone mouthing lyrics on the drive home before? then it hit me....the human league, the smiths, the cure.....my musical tastes have sincerely come out of the closet this winter, and weren't prepared for the public scorn that commuters are so easily capable of dealing out (commuters (myself included) are swift with their arbitrary actions, both with middle fingers of justice and expert racecar driver judgement of fellow motorists.), now that open window driving season is upon us. so i guess it happened so slowly that i never even saw it coming. first there was the occasional smiths song or two in august, breaking through the thick curtain of joy division that i wrapped around my 'tortured, black velvet soul'. in september the cure managed to take over the now 7 or 8 smiths songs in the mix. well, by february not only was new order having it's way with me, but human league, nena, blondie, soft cell, and (dear god) even depeche mode had managed to creep in to the playlist; wearing a striped shirt, daisy dukes, and a bushy moustache. it was around the 3 mile mark that "just can't get enough" by depeche mode had come on, and well....i just did "have enough." i turned of the radio for a minute, cleared my head, thinking about ladytron, miss kitten, and even DJ assault, trying to talk some sense into my rather flamboyant musical taste. it sat, it listened, it thought. then it got up in defiance, and said, "this is the way I live my life!". with that, general public's 'tenderness' came on, and there was nothing i could do, but remember the days of metallica, or throwing the old pig-skin around to black sabbath. yes, things would be different from now on. i'm here. i'm not queer. but goddam...is that morrissey blasting out of my car windows?
sounddoc
Comments:

Post a Comment